Thursday, December 3, 2009

Great expectations

Mark came up with a great idea. He thought it would be fun to go to a Christmas tree farm and let the boys pick out a real christmas tree! We have not had a real tree since the boys were born. We always used to buy real from one of those places that cut them down and sell them. The boys have never known the wonderful smell of a real tree at Christmas. We thought they would be really excited. So we got all ready to go and drove to the "Christmas tree farm". When we first arrived we were looking around as we drove up and were a little dissappointed that the trees didn't have a very pretty shape to them. Right away I started visualizing a little spindly Charlie Brown tree.. but then I thought "that's okay, it's all about the experience, it doesn't have to be perfect." Okay, so now I'm back in the mood. But the boys aren't with me. They are walking around unenthusiastically. We decide to leave the tree farm in lieu of another we heard about that was just down the road a few miles. So we pack up and head that way. As we pull in we see that these trees look a little better........until we get up close. We just couldn't find the perfect one. I found several that would work but the boys just weren't into it! They said they would rather just put up our artificial one! What???!! What is wrong with these guys? I thought they would be so excited to cut down their own tree. I had visions of it tied on top of the Suburban and happily trekking home.........but no. So Mark and I shrugged our shoulders in confusion and headed home.

In all honesty I think their blood sugar may have been low. They wanted to eat asap. I can't think of any other explanation.







Alpacos (looks like a mix between sheep and a llama)






5 comments:

Becky said...

Maybe the Norman Rockwell gene skips a generation???

Sheri said...

The real trees just don't look as perfect as the artificial ones, do they?

As I read your post, I could just see you assembling your fake tree and tying it on top of the Suburban, driving around the neighborhood.

Wouldn't that be funny?

Maybe next time you could bring some snacks for the tree hunt.

One of my middle-schoolers said it perfectly. "Mom, I'm hungry all of the time!" And it's true -- they are hungry AND growing all of the time!

Lindsay said...

hehe so funny how we sometimes think they will love something.. only to find out they didn't think it was nearly as cool!

blueviolet said...

It's so funny to me to see them out in the snow looking for a Christmas tree yet wearing shorts!

Anita said...

I have no answers, but I must say seeing you all with snow on the ground and all in shorts was cracking me up!