Thursday, September 30, 2010

"B" is for Buckeye

Jenny Matlock

I am participating in Jenny Matlocks Alphabe Thursday.




This weeks letter is "B"


Since the boys were pretty small Grandpa has had this tradition of every fall when the buckeyes fall off a buckeye tree near where he works he would bring the boys a few.He says they are good luck. It came from a tradition of when he was a little boy and every time this one uncle came around he always brought him a buckeye
The boys always look forward to it and always enjoy seeing who has the biggest, littlest..most in one shell. A couple of weeks ago Grandpa actually took them over to show them the tree that they had been coming from all these years. They came home with a whole bowl full!!




We visited the Botanical gardens this weekend and low and behold we found a buckeye tree. They had a great time looking around for just the perfect one with their friends.



16 comments:

Lindsay said...

ooo what a fun tradition!!

Jackie said...

I have never seen a buckeye tree and I don't even know what they are . nuts? are they edible?

Jingle said...

beautiful traditions..
thanks for sharing.

magsmcc said...

You call them buckeyes- we call them conkers! Oh I love Autumn!

RNSANE said...

I've heard the term "buckeye" state but have never seen a tree or its nuts. I'm curious, too, can you eat them? They are nice looking, bright and shiny.

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Buckeye! I always wondered what that actually was! Great B post!!!

La said...

I live in Ohio so the Buckeye is very popular here. It is our state nut and the Ohio State mascot is Brutus the Buckeye. La

Splendid Little Stars said...

I'm an Ohioan, too, like La. I don't know that I've ever tasted a buckeye. But here there is a very popular candy made to look like the nut. (peanut butter and chocolate)

signed...bkm said...

Great Tradition...never saw one before...thank you....bkm

blueviolet said...

I love that! You guys have fun!

The Bailey Family said...

Dad use to bring them to me too!! I have a few in my jewlery box (of all places) that I can't part with!!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

My father in law always would bring us buckeyes each year and our boys remember Grandpa doing that. He said that his grandpa always kept one in his pocket and rubbed it to help keep aches and pains away! Not sure if it worked but he would rub it down to nothing by the next year and need to find another one!

Kerri said...

What a fun tradition! I never knew they were good luck...and I'm even from Ohio (married and live in PA now) where that's our state symbol! Do you have the buckeye recipe? Chocolate covered peanut butter balls! Yum!

Terra said...

Bonnie that looked like fun

Jenny said...

My favorite buckeyes are the candy look-a-likes!

My kids always collected buckets and buckets of buckeyes. We had a tree in our yard in Ohio which was said to be the third largest in the whole State.

Let me tell you, the sheer volume of buckeyes from that tree was staggering.

This post brought back so many wonderful memories.

Thank you for linking.

A+

Jen said...

My great aunt had one of these trees in her yard when I was a little girl! I had forgotten all about it! What a great post! So much fun!