Friday, January 14, 2011

What I learned this week

Today I am participating in WHAT I LEARNED THIS WEEK over at Sittingonanoak.

I learned that...

Sometimes the truth hurts!

I know I'm not perfect but I think for a time my boys may have thought I was close. They love their mom I know that but lately it seems they really see my faults. I know, I know you probably weren't aware I had any but I do have just a few.

Yesterday I was dropping Connor off at school (he usually has his ipod on and I have to make wild hand gestures just to get his attention when I have something important to say or ask). He happened to be in the front seat with me because I was also taking Alex and he was in the back. I had to separate them because sometimes they just don't like each other very much.

     Anyway, I may or may not have glanced quickly down at my phone while sitting in the car pool lane, I happened to inch a little forward by accident and looked up just in time to see I was about to bump the car ahead of me. I slammed on the brakes and quickly looked over at Connor whose eyes were as big as saucers. He didn't say anything for a moment but then he said "mom". I said "yea". He said "You really shouldn't be looking at your phone when you're driving". (OUCH) "and I've noticed lately you get distracted while driving and sometime swerve over in the other lane a little... and a lot of times you forget to turn where you are supposed to and I have to remind you..... not to be rude but I think your driving is going a little downhill."

I thought about this for a moment, took a deep breath, remembered that he will be a teenager in a few short weeks... and pleasantly said "Well if you feel that way maybe you shouldn't ride with me" :) Yes I really said that, I'm not proud of it, it wasn't my best moment. Luckily he had already put his ear phones in and began listening to his music so he didn't hear me. He got out of the car, we said our "I love you's" and he was off. Sometimes the truth hurts!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ouch.. I don't look forward to those teenage years! At least he didn't hear the last comment :-P

Liz Mays said...

Yep, the reason you snapped is because you knew he was right and it got ya. :(

Jen said...

The truth does hurt, doesn't it? My kids are reaching that point as well - where they point out when I'm not making the best choices. It was easier when they thought I was perfect - ha ha!

Unknown said...

Ouch. I've had critics of my driving for several years, and I agree it's no fun. Kids can be so brutal!
I often open my mouth too quickly.

Becky said...

What's that old joke? "If you don't like the way I drive, then stay off of the sidewalk!"

Terra said...

Um yeah, we have all had our moments. I do more u-turns than probably anyone I know. I would say at least he is paying attention and might be a cautious driver when he hits the road and as for you, take a deep breath and move on...you have a lot on your plate and well, one comment your not so proud of is not going to take down the family!

Jenny said...

This made me laugh.

Definitely been there, done that!

Sigh.